It takes a gifted artist to become a great teacher and those who dare to teach never cease to learn.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It can be cold and rainy in San Miguel too ~

El Charco's Dome = Education building
The students here all told me that it hardly ever rains in the winter. The days have been sunny and very warm. I brought sweaters, but no summer clothes, so I was kind of too warm on some days!
The sunlight just accents the colors--so many of the buildings are painted that vibrant yellow and red colors. And even the edges of the rooftops are colorful with flowering potted plants. Many plants flower year-round here, and the bougainvillea is flourishing everywhere in three different colors--violet, red, and peachy.
But guess what? Yesterday it was cold, dark, and rainy. The students and I had to dress warm and bundle up in the classroom. And because it is a round building with lots of big windows and a skylight, without the sun it seemed dark for us. But I'm sure that weather will not last and the rest of the week is supposed to go back to warm and sunny.
Many people walk here in San Miguel, in spite of the fact that it is all steep hills, winding roads, and uneven cobblestones everywhere. In fact I feel sorry for the people who are trying to drive here. Yesterday I explored a marketplace that sold native fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Most of the tables are watched by little elderly women in traditional Mexican dress. I buy a dozen things to draw in my class, such as tamarindos, tomatillos, and jalapenos, and then some avocados for lunch. There are many kinds of shops here and many good restaurants and cafes.
Hasta luego,
Karrrla

(I'm practicing saying my name with the long rolling Spanish "r".)

No comments: