It takes a gifted artist to become a great teacher and those who dare to teach never cease to learn.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Annie Reiser in Vienna ...


(Annie's sketch book and original work by Hoefnagel from the end of 1500. Please click the image to enlarge)

I'm just back from a fabulous trip to Germany and Austria. The highlight spending nearly three days in the archives of the famous Viennese art museum, the Albertina. Thanks to Mervi’s connections, I was allowed entrance to the “Studiensaal” and access to Joris Hoefnagel’s original artwork that is in the museum’s collections. Needless to say, this was a dream come true for me. I sat for hours pouring over the invaluable copperplates and original watercolors of one of my favorite artists. I was able to bring in pencils and did some studies of certain details of the renderings.  Get the full story of my unique experience in my class in the upcoming semester. - Annie Reiser

This is an example of our teacher's commitment to enrich our Botanical Illustration program with important scientific and historical perspective. Drawing on Tradition: Hoefnagel and the Cabinet of Curiosities will be offered in February 2011, the registration for this class starts on December 3rd.  
The original matted pieces are preserved in this leather bound 'hollow' book, here shown by Herr Lotmannsberger, the manager of the Studiensaal. 

 From Annie's sketchbook.

No comments: