It takes a gifted artist to become a great teacher and those who dare to teach never cease to learn.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

2017 Arts and Archives: Danish Design Today and the Botanical Gardens



Since 1926, Designmuseum Danmark has been housed in one of Copenhagen’s finest rococo buildings, the former King Frederik’s Hospital.


Today we focused on the current Danish design and also visited the Botanical Gardens. Designmuseum Danmark is the country’s largest museum for Danish and international design It also is a forum for industrial design and brings together and documents the contemporary developments within industrial design, decorative and applied arts.
Designmuseum Danmark was founded in 1890 and first opened to the public in 1995. Since 1926, Designmuseum Danmark has been housed in one of Copenhagen’s finest rococo buildings, the former King Frederik’s Hospital. We started with a tour of  Danish Design Now which represents a selection of contemporary Danish design within the entire spectrum: furniture, product design, graphic design, fashion, and design in the public space. We were also introduced to The Danish Chair and how the strong chair design tradition has shaped the current design trends. The chair is one of the strongest representatives of the development of Danish design and a reason why furniture design has made Denmark famous worldwide.
(A fellow visitor relaxing in the entry hall of the Designmuseum Danmark gives you an indication of the quality of the Danish chairs)

On our way to the Botanical Gardens we stopped by the Frederic’s Church, The Marble Church. The building of the church started in 1740 and was finally consecrated in 1894. It is mainly built of Norwegian marble but also Danish faux marble and other materials are included.
The place is on of the largest of its kind in Europe, 46 meters high and supported by 12 pillars.

The Botanical Garden belongs to the University of Copenhagen and contains the largest collection of living plants and the only genebank for wild plants in Denmark. The garden covers an area of 10 hectares and has an extensive complex of historical glasshouses, the most notable is the old Palm House from 1874. 
The Botanical Garden was first established in 1600 but it was moved twice before it was ultimately given its current location in 1870. The garden contains more than 13,000 species and is arranged in different sections including: Danish plants (600 species), perennial plants (1,100 species), annual plants (1,100 species), rock gardens with plants from mountainous areas in Central and Southern Europe and Conifer Hill which is planted with coniferous trees. One of the newest inclusions is the rhododendron garden.
This was a very pleasant and sunny day, spiced with a icy wind.
 Our group on the steps of the historical palm house dating from 1874
More photos from our Saturday here


No comments: